Saturday, July 12, 2014

Byron Bay

I took the Greyhound to Byron Bay the night before last.  The bus experience is markedly different from my travels in Asia! The bus had A/C, a toilet with soap and water, and was pretty empty so I had two seats to myself. When I first got on, though, it was so bumpy that I thought I would never get to sleep. But then after an Indian sleeping pill and some shuffling, nine restful hours had somehow slipped by and I was looking out the window at the beach towns counting down the remaining two hours until our arrival. 

I was so glad to be out of Sydney! This town is much more what I'm used to. The main street is set against the beach and some foothills so I feel less claustrophobic. There are fewer cars and more greenery and I'm grateful for the open space. Our hostel, the Arts Factory Lodge, is set back from the main drag and is a peaceful sanctuary from the hustle and bustle of tourists toasting hurrahs to their Endless Summers. 

I met two girls on the Greyhound - Marissa from Madrid and Louise from England - and we have been spending the days and nights together. I also ran into a few friends from Sydney who stayed at the Blue Parrot with me. Everyone is leapfrogging up the east coast! 

Yesterday we walked on the beach and went to the lighthouse at Byron. It's pretty funny how despite the sights, the main tourist attractions often end up being cafés and toilets. I had a nice fourth class scramble (Yosemite third class :) ) back to the beach. There was only one slightly technical move required to avoid getting wet, but overall it was relaxing. I saw some crabs hanging onto a rock along the tide line. 

At night we played cards and went out on the main drag. I made Mezcal Margaritas with pineapple coconut juice that turned out really well. Jacob and I were successful in tracking down dark beers at a couple of the bars. We got back late and the birds were loud at sunrise, so I slept in until 1 today. I love hanging out in my tent so it makes me sleep and sleep. I am so happy to be camping here. 

Today by the time I got up and bargained with the travel agencies, it was 3 pm and just enough time to enjoy the beach with my Greyhound friends and finally go into the ocean!! Swimming is such a pilgrimage for me. The water was warm, warmer than the air, and I stayed in as long as I could handle the waves. Every once in a while a big wave came along and I had to dive underneath its white top to keep my balance, so being in the water was no time to space out and float! 

Tonight we are going to a bar called Cheeky Monkeys (I keep calling it Chunky Monkeys, Ben and Jerry's represent!) for a five dollar dinner and apparently free champagne. Then who knows what the night will bring, but I'm getting up at 8:30 am to go sea kayaking tomorrow, so it's got to be an earlier one! 

Anyway, trip is much more social and I have been doing more hanging out and being less introspective than I expected. It is good because I was hoping to connect with people and go out more, and I'm still getting quality thinking in!

No comments:

Post a Comment