Thursday, January 5, 2012

Nepal and Electricity

My relationship with the Internet here goes like this:

Wake up in the morning. Have 2-3 hours before volunteering but usually no power. Try to go on the Internet. Wait 20 minutes for computer to turn on. Discover it does not have MS Word, Excel, or something else I need that day.

Go to another cafe. Wait another 20 minutes. Computer turns on. Go on the Internet. A wire is disconnected. Spend half an hour trying to figure out how to fix it.

Check email. Reply to one email. Get really excited about a side tangent (ex. Facebook, link in email, song lyrics) and disregard the rest of my Internet to-do list.

Then one of these things happens:
A-computer shuts down unexpectedly.
B-computer stays on, Internet is down for an uncertain amount of time.
C-cafe owner asks me to hurry up because the battery is running low.
D-I am already late for volunteering so I save everything to drafts and run off.

Evening time: I get off the rock around 4, shower, drink a beer, meditate, etc. Then it is dinner time. After dinner - sometimes there is power for an hour or so, but it is cold and I'm tired, so I go back to the room.

Anyway, in comparison to being online every few hours or so when I am in the states, I go online once every four days, if I am lucky and not lazy.

And by the time I finish my to do list, (by "finish" I mean do 1 out of 5 things on it), no time is left for Facebook stalking, blog updating, etc.!

Do not take this to mean that I am complaining in any way. There is SO much time in the day without the Internet!!

Anyway:
*Australian camp for New Year's - one day backpacking trip with Laura - gorgeous, peaceful, first time I did not stay awake until midnight since I was probably three
*Climbing almost every day the past two weeks - amazing, love love the girls, lake view, paradise!
*MANA is coming to Pokhara tomorrow!!! I barely ever meet up with Dartmouth people in PA, now I get to meet up with someone in NEPAL?! Clearly though, Nepal is a much more interesting place than PA so figures that Dartmouth people would choose that over the indistinct East Coast.

The computer is beeping ominously so I am sensing a power disruption soon. Let's see if I get a chance to save this before that happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment